Friday, May 20, 2011

Internal Medicine @ DMC, San Pablo


Internal medicine at DMC was such an incredible experience. The last 8 weeks were jam packed with journal clubs, lectures, EKG sessions, presentations, rounds, and tons of time to spend with patients. I definitely learned more on this rotation than I have on any of the others simply because of Dr. Afsari's mentorship. He has so much respect for his patients, and his bedside manner is flawless no matter what kind of patient he is working with. He has a special knack for calming people down and really focuses on reducing suffering and improving quality of life. There is a reason he has received a national teaching award, and I am blessed and honored to have had the chance to learn from him and his colleagues.

But perhaps the most valuable lesson from this rotation is something that I realized on my own, and it pertains to what my role is as a medical student. Right now, I have the time to sit down with my patients and explain what is going on until they fully understand it. I have the time to research resources in the local community and make sure they obtain the connections they need to maintain their progress. I have the time, as a 3rd and soon, 4th year medical student. I may be exhausted, but I have the time. Being the patient advocate has always been a goal of mine, but during the first part of third year, I really had to focus more on how to get by in the various hospitals and clinics in which I rotated. Now I finally feel like I am used to all of the change and perpetual process of starting each month anew. I can really focus more on each individual patient on my service, and I am very happy to give all my patients the attention they need and deserve.

And thank goodness for getting used to change, because in a couple of months I will really need to get my butt into gear. Right now it looks like I will be doing the following (all subject to dramatic changes): After my last third year rotation at the Touro Clinic, I'll have my anesthesiology rotation, take my boards step2, and go to the SOMA leadership conference in Chicago. Then audition rotations start and I jump around like this: Washington -> Michigan -> California -> Florida ->Pennsylvania -> New York ->Everywhere for interviews (hopefully all in November... yeah, right, like that will work out!) I think that as crazy as this schedule is, it will be worth it. My ultimate goal is to find the perfect program for me and if I have to search the country for it, then so be it!

All of the major traveling takes place between July-December. That means I'll have 6 months until my wedding when I return to the bay area to finish up my rotations. So in addition to traveling for all of this, I need to apply for residency, and I need to find time to plan my wedding and maintain my other commitments while doing all of that. One-day-at-a-time. Luckily I have the love and support from Walter, my family, and friends. Just banking on the ability to have Walter join me during my travels whenever possible. I am going to be sure to breathe a humongous sigh of relief this December when I'm finished running around. Until then, wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. You're amazing and you're going to continue to do and be amazing.
    ==

    ReplyDelete