Sunday, June 20, 2010

2010 SDN Scholarship in Community and Preventive Medicine



http://www.studentdoctor.net/2010/06/robyn-young-awarded-2010-sdn-scholarship-in-community-and-preventive-medicine/

I donated a large fraction of my scholarship money to the South Vallejo Free Clinic project by purchasing glucometers, test strips and lancets for the clinic (will deliver within the next week). Things are really getting off the ground and I hope to remain involved for years to come, when I am away on rotations/ residency. I know this will develop into a valuable center for the Vallejo community with everyone's help.

Here is my scholarship essay:

Describe the work you have done in the field of community medicine and your future career plan.

Deepak Chopra, M.D. has said,” Everyone has a purpose in life… a unique gift or special talent to give to others. And when we blend this unique talent to service others, we experience the ecstasy and exultation of our own spirit, which is the ultimate goal of all goals.” I believe my unique gift is the ability to recognize and bring out the healing potential of individuals and groups of people. As a physician, I will use my passion for preventive medicine to bring heath care professionals together in a community clinic setting. The ultimate goal of this teamwork will be to empower patients with the tools they need to heal themselves and their community.

My experience with community medicine began as a volunteer at an undergraduate clinic for the homeless called The Willow Project in Sacramento. As a health screener, I got to listen to the clients’ unique stories and health concerns. A majority of our clients would present with poorly controlled hypertension and diabetes; two very preventable conditions which lead to serious complications if they are not treated. Clients would explain that they lack access to healthy food, sometimes just eating what they can find, or what the food banks give them. With my limited role and an even more limited amount of time, I would take five minutes to explain the importance of nutrition and exercise to clients. Eventually, I realized that I could make even more of a difference if I helped create opportunities for them to eat well.

After learning of our clients’ lack of access to nutritious food, I joined a group of advocates called Food Not Bombs, and helped collect healthy, nutritious, vegan-vegetarian food from participating restaurants and markets. With this food we cooked creative, multiple-entree meals and served them to the community as often as we could. People would come to eat, and we would discuss current issues that affect their community as well as listen to each individual's story. We encouraged the community to be conscious of waste production and to value collective, creative cooking. I realized that it is more powerful to show the community that food is medicine, rather than to just tell them about proper nutrition. To this day, I am still an active in community cooking. Our patrons remind me of my clients at Willow Clinic when they tell me that they have changed their life style and feel healthier after participating in our meals.

In addition to cooking, I continue serving the community by coordinating an OMT station at Suitcase Clinic in Berkeley. Every Tuesday, the undergraduate suitcase team provides a two-hour clinic and safe space for the Bay Area homeless community. Clients can sign up for foot washing, shaving, clothes and food, medical care, eye care, legal council, and many other services. I coordinate the effort of Touro osteopathic medical students working in pairs to do H&P's and treat a total of ten clients. As we treat our clients, we teach them muscle energy techniques that they can do on their own. This empowers clients to take charge of their health and helps maintain the changes we have made with our osteopathic manipulative treatments. At Suitcase Clinic, I have gained unique exposure to the bay area homeless community, listening to their stories and examining their physical and mental status. I am now very well versed on the public health services offered in the Bay Area, as I am constantly advocating for clients to receive the help they need.

Being a communal cook and health clinic volunteer has ignited a spark within me to continue serving the community with a public health perspective. As I complete my medical education and obtain my license to practice family medicine and OMM, I want to start giving back to the community where I started my medical education, Touro University – Mare Island. Touro is located in Vallejo, one of the most impoverished cities in California. The city lacks resources and money to provide an adequate police force and education system. As our university has become more established over the past ten years, we have increased the number of colleges and the diverse variety of students and professionals in Vallejo proper. I want to utilize the minds and energy of these eager students and professionals to create a space in Vallejo that promotes the health and overall wellbeing of underserved individuals.

My plan is to recruit public health volunteers, medical students, pharmacy students, and a team of rotating physicians who can dedicate four hours each night of the work week to seeing clients in a free community clinic. The goal will be to teach clients about health maintenance, give referrals, and connect them with local resources. The community center will provide programs that reinforce the six areas of wellness, which are physical, mental, spiritual, occupational, social, and intellectual. We can create space for a communal kitchen with dinner served each day, community member-lead yoga and exercise classes, an OMT clinic run by Touro Students, health education workshops, peer facilitated support groups, and meditation classes. This community project can become a reality with grants, fundraising, and dedication by the Touro University and Vallejo community. We have already established a facility for a free clinic this year. I look forward to the creation of a supportive center in Vallejo that can successfully promote preventive health practices among the entire community.

Just as the human body is a unit, each part working to maintain homeostasis, so are our communities. I believe I can help the citizens of Vallejo realize their unique roles in the greater health of the community, and reinforce their capacity to heal through education and preventative action. As our community center gains momentum, the idea can be passed along and implemented in many other rural cities. It will be the highest honor to dedicate the rest of my life to helping patients and their communities realize their healing potential.

1 comment:

  1. Simply amazing. First, congratulations on your essay, and next, you are a very dedicated and motivational individual. It is clear through your writing and your donations to the community that you truly do care about others' health. There seems to be a lack of that, even in the medical schools, so it is a breath of fresh air to see a person giving everything they have to better the community and to assist others. You are a role model for all of us students in the medical field.

    ReplyDelete